In most cases, you can spot mold with the naked eye and usually smell it as well.
Prolonged exposure to mold can cause serious health problems. Health risks rise for people whose immune system are already weakened by, among other things, allergies, asthma, chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Several molds have even been linked to cancer and are, designated by Health Canada as ‘Hazardous Air Pollutants’.
The mold was likely created by spores, which are everywhere outdoors and are carried into buildings by wind or by foot traffic. Spores are tiny microscopic seeds that originate from mold, float through the air and are invisible to the naked eye. When they land, they reform into mold.
There can also be natural sources of mold spores in and around your home – from potted plants to food. Moisture is the key culprit, if you control indoor moisture, you can usually avoid mold.
That’s why we test the air inside AND outside. The outdoor sample, believe it or not, always has mold spores in the air. The outdoor sample will give us a baseline measurement, which is the normal amount of mold in your area versus the spore count in your structure.
We’ll make the best recommendation for your situation if we do find mold in your property.